This is where we’re at with Top 10 Lists: we don’t need another “Desert Island Classic” list of the Top 10 Best Rock Albums and no one really cares what my favorite instrumental albums or Top 10 Live Albums are, but I wrote those lists anyway (and can I interest you in my Top Albums of 2013?).
Why not get even more random and silly with it: how ’bout the Top 10 Consecutive 3-Album Runs… or even the Top 10 Best Album Covers That Match the Best Albums from 2011?
So, as a casual jazz fan on a recent Miles Davis kick (and a father of two young boys), it popped in my head that there’s some good jazz album titles that sound like children’s books. And, just to teach about counting (or set a bad example of such), this Top 10 Jazz Albums (That Sound Like Children’s Book Titles) list contains 12 items!
- Miles Davis – Milestones
- Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time Out
- Stanley Clarke – School Days
- Wayne Shorter – Speak No Evil
- Wynton Marsalis – Big Train
- Chick Corea – Children’s Songs
- Pat Metheny – Imaginary Day
- John Coltrane – My Favorite Things
- Herbie Hancock – Dis Is Da Drum
- Ornette Coleman – Soapsuds, Soapsuds
- Modern Jazz Quartet – Patterns
- Charlie Parker – Ornithology (Okay, so maybe this one woulda been called Big Book of Birds or whatever…)